August 22, 2008

What Did You Read This Summer?


You did it in the car, on the beach, on the trail, in a hammock and on the front porch. Where ever you were this summer you were reading. Book Buzz wants to know what you read this summer.

Summer's the traditional time of year to catch up on some reading. Did you read a book that really got you going? You had to tell all your friends? How about a novel you would put on the best-seller list?

Here's your chance to click the "comments" below and help create Wood Library's Summer 2008 Best-Read List.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first time I read a Tess Gerritsen novel. I knew she was popular. Now, I know why. I read The Bone Garden. Well, actually I listened to it as an audio download from OWWL2go. I don't know who the narrator was but she was the best--every character recognizable, every voice well matched. I am usually a slow listener, but this audio book was so compelling I zipped right through. It was set in the 19th century and in the present time. The chapters go back and forth. It starts out with present-day Julia finding a skull and skeleton in the backyard of her newly purchased home--a two-century old farmhouse in the Massachusetts countryside. The story goes back to Boston in the 1830s, then moves forward to help unravel the mystery. Who is the woman, why is she buried there? You will love the characters Norris (Norrie, the farm boy, turned medical student) and the Irish domestic Rose Connelly. They are so real. It is a mystery with history and a love story. It even made me cry. There was only one point in the book when I felt myself flagging as a reader--the ending seemed a bit too tidy to me, too convenient, too staged. I would prefer a less than tidy ending. Something that would give the reader that final little flip as you close the last page or press the off button. That is minor. The Bone Garden was a great read and I highly recommend it.